18 May 2022


Man killed after being sucked into MRI machine in Mumbai

MUMBAI, India — An Indian man died after being sucked into an MRI machine while visiting a relative at a hospital in Mumbai.

Rajesh Maru, 32, was yanked toward the machine by its magnetic force after he entered the room carrying an oxygen cylinder, the city’s police said in a statement.

“We have arrested a doctor and another junior staff member under section 304 of the Indian penal code for causing death due to negligence,” Mumbai police spokesman Deepak Deoraj said.

The incident occurred on Saturday night at the Indian financial capital’s Nair Hospital.

Police said preliminary reports suggested that the man had died from inhaling liquid oxygen that leaked from the cylinder.

It is thought the cylinder was damaged after hitting the machine.